The International Political Science Association (IPSA) invites applications for the position of Executive Director. Founded under the auspices of UNESCO in 1949, IPSA is an international scholarly association. It is devoted to the advancement of political science in all parts of the world. Its aim is to create an inclusive and global political science community in which all can participate. It seeks to promote collaboration between scholars in all countries and world regions, and to support the academic freedoms needed for the social sciences to flourish. IPSA has consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC), with the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Council (UNESCO) and it is a member of the International Social Science Council and of the Global Development Network.
The governance of IPSA is vested in an elected Executive Committee, chaired by the President, and the Secretariat, located in Montreal, Canada. The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of the Association and an ex officio member of the Executive Committee. The Executive Director reports to the Executive Committee and works closely with the President and other IPSA officials. The Executive Director provides leadership and vision ; gives strategic advice to the Association’s governing officials and committees and implements their goals ; communicates with members ; manages the staff and budget, oversees all IPSA activities ; and represents IPSA to the outside world, as that is authorized by the President and the Executive Council.
Major responsibilities include :
- Providing leadership and strategic guidance in policy, program, and service development that respond to and anticipate disciplinary needs and issues ;
- Communicating with and supporting the political science community worldwide, including political scientists who work in all types of educational environments, governments, journalism, policy analysis institutes, and other organizations ; and promoting the use of new media to reach IPSA constituents and audiences beyond the membership ;
- Representing the Association’s interests to outside parties including the Canadian government, foundations, funders, and other associations in Canada and abroad ; and fostering expansion of IPSA’s public face and of political scientists’ contributions to political knowledge and discussion outside the discipline ;
- Overseeing the organization and administration of the World Congress and other major meetings and events to convene members for exchange of scholarly and disciplinary information, professional networking and training, and conduct of IPSA programs and business ;
- Coordinating the management of major scholarly journals, and guiding the Association planning for the future of scholarly publishing ;
- Supervising and coordinating the work of a staff of diverse professional background and experience levels who have responsibility for accomplishing a complex variety of activities and supporting many different programs ;
- Professionally managing the Association’s finances, being creative about identifying and securing new sources of revenue, and overseeing IPSA business in compliance with its policies and by-laws.
- Accelerating the growth of fundraising across a diverse range of income streams to achieve long-term, sustainable income growth to support IPSA’s operations and aspirations.
What we expect :
Preferred qualifications include a Ph.D. in political science or related fields ; substantial experience in non-profit management or academic administration ; demonstrated capacity to think creatively and strategically and meet the challenges of a changing environment ; outstanding leadership, management, and advocacy skills ; sensitivity to and demonstrated experience of constructively working with constituents of diverse interests ; a proven track record of resource and program development, and an interest in the use of new media for public outreach and provision of information and services ; a deep appreciation of IPSA’s global mission, commitment to excellence, and diversity in research and teaching in all fields of political science ; and fluent in English and French.
What we offer :
The appointment is for one eight-year term and is renewable at the discretion of the IPSA Executive Committee. Salary is commensurate with experience, and a competitive benefits package is provided. IPSA Secretariat is located at Concordia University in Montreal. Concordia University would consider teaching opportunities for the prospective Executive Director.
How to apply :
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and a detailed curriculum vitae in one document in a Word or PDF file in the format "Last name, First name” to Adrienne Jung at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31st 2019 with “Executive Director” in the subject line. IPSA is committed to workplace diversity and welcomes applications from anyone with the qualifications indicated above. Enquiries can be made to Adrienne Jung via email. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.