The Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies e.V. (IASS) is an international, interdisciplinary centre of excellence located in Potsdam, Germany. The IASS is financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Federal State of Brandenburg, and is devoted to promoting science and research for global sustainability, particularly in the areas of climate change, the earth system and the development of new technologies and social pathways to sustainability. Further information about the IASS can be accessed under www.iass-potsdam.de/en.
At the next possible date, we are looking for a
PostDoc as project leader (f/m/d) (100%) for the project
“Investigating the systemic impacts of the global energy transition (ISIGET)”.
Ref. No. : ISIGET-2019-02
About the project :
The ISIGET project explores the systemic implications of the global low carbon energy transition, focusing on the developing nations and the Global South. The project is led by Professor Andreas Goldthau (Willy Brandt School of Public Policy, University of Erfurt), and aims at analyzing the distributional effects of decarbonizing the energy system using, among others, scenario techniques. The project is funded through the Franco-German fellowship program to support research in the areas of climate, energy and Earth systems science, Make our Planet Great Again – German Research Initiative (MOPGA-GRI), by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). Special emphasis will be put on cooperating with French partners throughout the project. The project team will comprise a total of five PhD and PostDoc researchers and a Research Assistant.
The successful candidate is interested in empirically-driven and interdisciplinary research in the realm of the global energy transition and decarbonization, with focus on development contexts. They specialize in quantitative or qualitative research on low carbon finance and technology in the Global South, preferably in countries other than China and India. They have experience in academic project management and take a leadership role in administering the ISIGET project.
The successful candidate will :
• Conduct empirically-driven and interdisciplinary research, individually and jointly, in the realm of the global energy transition and decarbonization, with focus on development contexts
• Contribute to joint publications in peer-reviewed journals, policy briefs, blogs, and other outlets
• Manage the research project, i.e. monitor its implementation as per the project plan, ensure the deliverables and coordinate the research process, in liaison with the PI
• Communicate the results to decision makers in the policy world, business and public bodies, and in social media
• Co-represent the project at academic conferences and among project partners, as well as in international bodies such as the EU and the UN
• Lead the preparation and implementation of (bi)annual project workshops and symposia
• Cooperate and liaise with practice partners, civil society organizations and relevant actors in Germany, France and Europe, and in select countries of the Global South
We seek candidates with :
• A PhD in International Political Economy) ; economics ; (economic) geography ; environmental and sustainability studies ; or related fields
• A good knowledge in the area of the global energy transition
• An interest in empirical and problem-focused research
• Distinct skills in qualitative and/or quantitative methods
• Experience in policy processes and policy analysis
• An ability to work independently, creatively, and effectively
• A commitment to teamwork
• A very good command of English ; French and German language skills are a plus
• Readiness to travel, notably for field research in the Global South.
What we offer :
• The opportunity to work on a project which is both intellectually stimulating and highly relevant in policy terms
• An interdisciplinary team at one of Germany’s most renowned organizations for sustainability studies
• Excellent contacts to national, European, and international research institutions, organizations and decision markers
• An opportunity to take the next step in your academic career through leading a research project
• An attractive, diverse, and international work environment
• Remuneration in accordance with the federal German salary scheme (E13)
The position will be filled as soon as possible, but at the latest by 01 December 2019 and is initially foreseen until 30 June 2021 with the possibility of extension to a total of three years (the full project lifetime). The place of work is Potsdam, Germany. The IASS seeks to achieve gender equality and diversity. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favorably.
How to apply :
Applications, including a motivation letter (indicating a geographical area of interest), a CV, copies of certificates, a writing sample (e.g. a peer-reviewed article or an excerpt of the PhD thesis), and should be sent as one PDF file (max 5MB) and by e-mail only to Prof. Dr. Andreas Goldthau (for the attention of Christina Stobernack : Christina.Stobernack@iass-potsdam.de). Please refer to the reference number given above.
Inquiries should be directed to the same email address. The deadline for applications is : 06.09.2019. Interviews are scheduled for October/November 2019. Travel costs cannot be reimbursed. Telephone interviews (Skype) are possible in principle.